After spending hours (sometimes) you finally finish your new nail look, the next morning you wake up to find a chip. Most annoying thing ever! I decided to do a little research on how to prevent nail polish from chipping so easily and thought I'd share this with you. Some of the things seem so simple, yet so simple they can slip the mind.
Number 1 - Clean those hands.
- Whenever you start to paint your nails, make sure they are clean and dry. Having dirt and natural oils on your nails can mess with the polish staying on your nails which can add to the chipping or discolouration. So make sure you firstly remove your old nail polish with a good quality nail polish remover. Then wash your hands with normal soap and water to remove any dirt. Pat dry really well so your nails are dry.
Number 2 - Base coat.
- Always start your nails with a thin layer of a base coat to prep your nails.The base coat provides a nice smooth surface for the polish to lie on. Leave the base coat for a good 15 minutes, just to make sure it is completely dry before putting on your colour.
Number 3 - Thin coats.
- Now when applying your chosen polish, think thin. Apply a thin, light coat of polish first as when you apply big thick coats, it never gets time to dry properly and can also cause air bubbles, so thinner is always better in this case.
Number 4 - Extra time for the tips.
- When painting your nails, you may want to apply the polish a little thicker on the tips after all the tips of our nails get the most wear and tear throughout the day. Even curving the polish under your nail can make your polish stay on longer, all though can look a little messy.
Number 5 - Glitter and shimmer.
- Now of course you're not going to want to use a glitter or a shimmer polish all the time, but have you noticed how hard they are to remove? They are also great to stop your nails from chipping.
Number 6 - Top coat.
- Remember thinner is better when it comes to polish and this applies to the top coat too and remember to put a little extra on those tips.
- Be patient with drying time. Leave each coat at least 15 minutes.
- Moisturise your hands and cuticles. Dry cuticles won't help your polish to stay on.
- Purchase a good quality base and top coat.
- Keeping your nail polish in the fridge can prevent chipping.
- Most importantly, don't rush!